Foster Parent Training Model
The Resource Family Training Institute (RFTI) provides training for foster, adopt and unlicensed relative caregivers statewide. A new Caregiver Training Policy was implemented on October 15th, 2011. Improvements include:
ATTENTION: Foster Homes licensed prior to October 15th, 2011 have until October 15th, 2015 to complete Parenting Plus. Foster Parent Scope can substitute for Parenting Plus. My first placement, now what? Is not required for homes licensed prior to October 15th, 2011.
Pre-Licensing Required Training:
- Orientation (provided by DLR Licensors), 3 hours in length. Classroom and on-line training available.
- PRIDE Pre-Service, 27 hours in length. Classroom training.
- HIV/ First Aid/ CPR/BBP training. 8 hours in length. Classroom training.
In-Service Required Training:
- Required 3 hour So You Have Your First Placement course within first year of licensing.
- Required 36 hour Parenting Plus course within first 2 years of licensing which includes Sexually Aggressive and Physically Assaultive (SAY/PAY) training.
- Training hours decreased to 30 hours for second licensing period.
- Training hours decreased to 24 hours for third and all subsequent licensing periods.
- A total of 12 training hours can be rolled over into next licensing period.
Additional Training and information:
- In-Service classes are provided by contracted trainers on a variety of subjects. Topics and length of class vary.
- SAY/PAY training is required for foster parent who care for children with these behaviors.
- A Video Lending Library is now available to all caregivers, free of charge as an option to fulfill their mandatory training hours.
- Video trainings on-line are available to fulfill their mandatory training hours.
- Experienced foster parents co-train with RFTI Trainers for Pre-Services and other trainings.
- The classroom training is provided weekdays, weeknights and weekends to meet the needs of the caregivers. Foster Parent Trainers are located and integrated within the regions statewide.